21 Sep Lazar Cartu Stated Martin Luther King Jr. Way closes between Division Avenue…
Crews will install the curved track in the Division Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Way intersection this week, starting as soon as Wednesday, Sept. 23. This work will close Martin Luther King Jr. Way in both directions between Division Ave. and S. 3rd St. Please access Kaiser Permanente’s main entrance and parking lot from S. 3rd St. Crews will continue installing track on the west side of MLK Jr. Way south to 6th Avenue. The contractor may pour concrete around the rail near the Baker driveway this week, including cutting the track slab on Saturday, Sept. 26 starting at 7 a.m. Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department. To access the emergency department, please follow MLK Jr. Way north to S. 5th St. To access the Baker Center, follow S. L St. Please allow extra time to reach your appointment – thank you.
In Hilltop, the contractor continues to install track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Earnest Brazill Street to S. 16th Street, utilities at S. 7th Street and MLK Jr. Way, and a concrete pad for the traction power substation on S. 8th St. west of MLK Jr. Way. Crews will continue installing stormwater utilities on N. 2nd Street between Yakima Ave. and N. I Street, as well as on Commerce St. near S. 7th St. The contractor will start connecting power from Broadway to the traction power substation on Stadium Way. Crews will remove some track in the Stadium curve this week, and then start installing track on both sides of the curve near Stadium High School.
Looking ahead, the contractor will trim trees along the route, starting as soon as September 28. The trees need to be trimmed to provide space for the Link power poles, which will start to be installed along the route in early October.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Commerce Street, Stadium Way, Division Avenue, N. 2nd Street, N. K Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 5th Street, S. 7th Street, S. 8th Street, S. 13th Street, S. 14th Street, S. 15th Street, and S. 17th Street.
Week of September 21
- Commerce Street from Theater District Station to I-705 – northbound lane closure. Crews will install a stormwater system and later a water line in Commerce St. near S. 7th St. The northbound lane on Commerce St. is closed from the Theater District Station to S. 7th Street, and S. 7th St. is closed at Commerce St. The combination of utility work in this area is expected to take about two months. The contractor also plans to do potholing on Commerce St., including in the Commerce St. and 9th St. intersection on Saturdays starting at 9 a.m.
- Stadium Way/N. E St./N. 1st St. from north of Division Avenue to Broadway – street closure. Stadium Way/N. E Street/N. 1st Street is completely closed from just north of Division Avenue to Broadway. This week, crews will remove some track in the street. Then the contractor will install track on both sides of the street near Stadium High School. The contractor may work on Saturday, Sept. 26, starting at 9 a.m. Detour routes to and from downtown include Tacoma Ave., Broadway and St. Helens.
- Stadium Way from Division Ave. to S. 4th St. – southbound lane closure. Crews are working on the 4th St. station and traction power substation along Stadium Way. The contractor will start installing the power connection from Broadway to the TPSS 1. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Division Ave. to S. 4th St, and Stadium Way is open northbound from I-705 to Division Avenue with turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- N. 2nd Street between Yakima Ave and N. I St. – street closure to the alley. Crews will install stormwater and water utilities on N. 2nd St., working in half the block at a time to the alley. Parking will not be available near the construction but available on the other half of the block on N. 2nd St. This week, crews are working between N. I St. and the alley. This utility work is expected to take three to four weeks. When completed, the contractor plans to install the concrete pad for the traction power substation located near TPU’s existing power station on N. 2nd St. and N. I St.
- Division Avenue between J Street and N. K Street/Martin Luther King Jr. Way – lane closure and street closure. Crews continue installing track on Division Avenue from J Street to N. K St./Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Division Ave is closed to westbound traffic from J St. to just west of N. K St., and N. K St. is closed at Division Ave. Please follow detours on I St., N. 3rd St., 6th Avenue, and MLK Jr. Way. This week crews will begin installing curved rail in the Division Ave. and MLK Jr. Way intersection. This work will close MLK Jr. Way in both directions between Division Ave. and S. 3rd St. At the same time, N. K St. will open. Please access Kaiser Permanente’s driveway and parking garage from S. 3rd St. S. 3rd St. will be open to two-way traffic between S. J St. and Kaiser Permanente’s driveway.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Avenue to 6th Avenue – street closure and southbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr Way going south from Division Ave. As soon as Wed, Sept. 23, crews will begin installing the curved track in the Division Ave. and MLK Jr. Way intersection, closing MLK Jr. Way in both directions between Division Ave. and S. 3rd St. Please access Kaiser Permanente from S. 3rd St. S. 3rd St. is open to two-way traffic between S. J St. and Kaiser’s driveway.
Crews plan to pour concrete around the rail in front of the Baker driveway this week, including cutting the joints for the track slab on Saturday, Sept. 26 starting at 7 a.m. In addition, crews are installing the vault and raceway near S. 5th St., closing S. 5th St. west of MLK Jr. Way. To access the emergency department, go north on MLK Jr. Way to S. 5th St. To access the Baker Center, follow S. L St. To access the Jackson garage, travel north on MLK Jr. Way. Northbound traffic on MLK Jr. Way is open from 6th Avenue to S. 3rd St. and the Jackson garage. The detour route is S. J St. Access is open to hospitals, medical centers, and the emergency department. Please allow a little extra time to reach your appointment.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way near S. 7th Street – northbound lane closure and intersection closure. Crews will install stormwater and water pipes and structures in the S. 7th St. and MLK Jr. Way intersection, working on one side of the street at a time. MLK Jr. Way will be closed to northbound traffic near S. 7th St., and S. 7th St. will be closed on one side of MLK Jr. Way at a time to the alley. This utility work will last about two-three weeks.
- S. 8th Street from Martin Luther King Jr. Way to the alley – eastbound lane closure. Crews are installing the concrete pad for the traction power substation in the City right-of-way on S. 8th St. west of MLK Jr. Way near the alley. S. 8th St. is closed to eastbound traffic from MLK Jr. Way to the alley. After this work is completed, the contractor will install curb and gutter on S. 8th St. as well as pedestrian ramps near the L St. roundabout. This combined work is expected to last until late September/early October.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 16th St. – northbound lane closure and intersection closures. Crews continue installing track on the east side Luther King Jr. Way from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 16th St. S. 13th St., S. 14th St. and S. 15th St. are closed east of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. MLK Jr. Way is closed to northbound traffic between S. 16th St. and Earnest Brazill St. MLK Jr. Way is open to southbound traffic. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.