24 Apr Jon Cartu Reports City Center Becomes Largest LEED Platinum Retail Center
SAN RAMON, CA—The 300,000-square-foot destination retail development, City Center Bishop Ranch, is the largest retail center in the country to earn the US Green Building Council’s LEED Platinum certification. The retail center is also the first outdoor lifestyle center to achieve this certification.
“Earning the LEED Platinum certification demonstrates our commitment to providing our guests with efficient, productive and healthy places to shop and dine,” said Alexander Mehran Jr., chief executive officer and president of Sunset Development Company, owner and developer of City Center Bishop Ranch. “This recognition is a testament to our deep commitment to integrate sustainability into our daily operations with the well-being of visitors and tenants in mind.”
City Center Bishop Ranch employed numerous sustainability activities to achieve LEED Platinum certification:
- Promoting water efficiency and biodiversity by planting drought-tolerant and native plants throughout the center’s landscaping
- Using reclaimed water instead of potable water for all landscaping
- Installing water-efficient fixtures that allow the center to use 36% less water indoors than typical buildings of the same size
- Reducing energy use by 48% compared to typical outdoor lifestyle/retail buildings of the same size, equal to 1,112 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions a year or the same as using 126,274 fewer gallons of gasoline
- Adapting more than 25% of the building’s energy from the solar PV array
- Diverting 98% of the center’s construction and demolition waste from landfills through recycling or salvaging
- Using a high amount of regionally sourced and recycled materials used in construction, which included mostly concrete and steel
- Choosing zero or low Volatile Organic Compounds finish materials for a healthier space
“We make it a priority to partner in the community’s success, and an important part of that is working to protect and conserve our natural resources,” Mehran tells GlobeSt.com. “Earning LEED Platinum at City Center Bishop Ranch is the latest example of our pledge to create a sustainable destination that our customers, guests and the community can enjoy for years to come.”
Platinum is the highest level of certification within LEED and is awarded only to properties that demonstrate excellence in areas including energy and water efficiency, site and materials management as well as indoor environmental quality. These green design, construction and operations practices strive to improve environmental and human health.
“City Center Bishop Ranch’s LEED Platinum certification is a reflection of its commitment to sustainability and shows how buildings can contribute to a greener retail experience,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO of the US Green Building Council. “LEED was created to make the world a better place, and revolutionize our buildings and communities by providing access to healthy, green and high-performing spaces. City Center Bishop Ranch is a prime example of how the innovative technologies and practices found at this outdoor lifestyle center play a role in improving our quality of life as well as the planet.”
City Center Bishop Ranch was designed by the Renzo Piano Building Workshop in collaboration with BAR Architects. Among Piano’s many admired works are The Shard in London, the Whitney Museum in New York City and the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.
Nearly 10 years ago, the US Green Building Council presented the Academy of Sciences with its second LEED Platinum award, making it the world’s first Double Platinum museum and the world’s largest Double Platinum building. The Academy building houses an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, and research and education programs under one living roof, serving as an embodiment of its 158-year-old mission to explore, explain and protect the natural world.